Tuesday, November 14, 2006
custard tart


I decided to try something different. I realize I have been making the same cakes.. well using the same ingredients and such. I opted to make custard tarts this week after trying the sweet Nova Era ones. I also really like eggtarts. I found a great recipe for Portuguese egg tart online, though I decided to go with this the recipe that my sister got from my aunt. I use a bit of both recipe. The recipe that my sister had called for already made tart shells, though I decided to use the Portuguese egg tart recipe and make my own tart shells with puff pastry.
I personally found the pastry salty and the custard very light and yummy. My mom enjoyed it. She has claimed 5 tarts and she's bringing them to work to share with her coworkers. She would only take the baked good that shes enjoys... otherwise they will be left sitting on my kitchen table until I decide to finish it.
My rolling pin decided to disappear this morning. I ended up using my HAND to roll out the dough and let me tell you.. it sucked! hehe
ingredients:
397g puff pastry
4 egg yolks
5 tbsp icing sugar
500g whipping cream
directions:
Preheat oven to 300°F - using muffin trays
1. I decide to divide my puff pastry into 24. Though depends on how thick you would like your crust. Mine was a little thin... so maybe make 18-20 next time. Roll out the dough to fit into muffin tray.
2. In a large bowl whisk together egg, sugar and whipping cream.
3. Pour combine ingredients into tart shells.
4. Bake until brown.


I decided to try something different. I realize I have been making the same cakes.. well using the same ingredients and such. I opted to make custard tarts this week after trying the sweet Nova Era ones. I also really like eggtarts. I found a great recipe for Portuguese egg tart online, though I decided to go with this the recipe that my sister got from my aunt. I use a bit of both recipe. The recipe that my sister had called for already made tart shells, though I decided to use the Portuguese egg tart recipe and make my own tart shells with puff pastry.
I personally found the pastry salty and the custard very light and yummy. My mom enjoyed it. She has claimed 5 tarts and she's bringing them to work to share with her coworkers. She would only take the baked good that shes enjoys... otherwise they will be left sitting on my kitchen table until I decide to finish it.
My rolling pin decided to disappear this morning. I ended up using my HAND to roll out the dough and let me tell you.. it sucked! hehe
ingredients:
397g puff pastry
4 egg yolks
5 tbsp icing sugar
500g whipping cream
directions:
Preheat oven to 300°F - using muffin trays
1. I decide to divide my puff pastry into 24. Though depends on how thick you would like your crust. Mine was a little thin... so maybe make 18-20 next time. Roll out the dough to fit into muffin tray.
2. In a large bowl whisk together egg, sugar and whipping cream.
3. Pour combine ingredients into tart shells.
4. Bake until brown.