Friday, July 13, 2007
gryfe's bagel bakery
I have a thing for bagels. They are also my enemies because of the high calories, but I still love them. For these bagels, I made my way all the way to Bathurst and Lawrence.. it was quite the trip.. and I enjoyed them sitting outside on a dirty picnic table beside a coin laundry. hahe
I learned about this bagel place from the Toronto Star. I also learned the difference between Montreal vs New York bagels.
Montreal bagels are boiled in honey water and then baked in a woodburning oven, whereas New York bagels are boiled in water with salt and then baked in a regular oven.
Montreal bagels are dense and chewy and New York bagels are puffy and tend to be bigger.
Gryfe's bagel is different.. its not too big, nor too dense. I think I like them better than both the Montreal and New York bagels :)


I have a thing for bagels. They are also my enemies because of the high calories, but I still love them. For these bagels, I made my way all the way to Bathurst and Lawrence.. it was quite the trip.. and I enjoyed them sitting outside on a dirty picnic table beside a coin laundry. hahe
I learned about this bagel place from the Toronto Star. I also learned the difference between Montreal vs New York bagels.
Montreal bagels are boiled in honey water and then baked in a woodburning oven, whereas New York bagels are boiled in water with salt and then baked in a regular oven.
Montreal bagels are dense and chewy and New York bagels are puffy and tend to be bigger.
Gryfe's bagel is different.. its not too big, nor too dense. I think I like them better than both the Montreal and New York bagels :)
Gryfe's Bagel Bakery
421 Bathurst Street
Toronto, Ontario
416 783-1552
Labels: Bagels, Eating Out