Sunday, October 22, 2006
okonomi house
So after reading about okonomiyaki, I had a craving to try it. I heard plenty of good things about the one on Bloor and Yonge.
This is Tim's boring looking chicken okonomiyaki. :)

This was my nicely decorated beef okonomiyaki.

I was fascinated by the katsuobushi. When I sprinkled it on my okonomiyaki, the katsuobushi began to move! I don't really understand why and I haven't had the time to look up why, but I will in the future.
Overall, it was very very filling. I found my beef very dry. Tim claims his chicken was good.
Okonomi House
23 Charles W.
Toronto, Ontario
416 925-6167
So after reading about okonomiyaki, I had a craving to try it. I heard plenty of good things about the one on Bloor and Yonge.
From Wikipedia,I finally convinced Tim to go try it with me. I decided to get the beef, while he opted for the chicken. I also wanted the extras - aonori (seaweed) and katsuobushi.
Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き,
Okonomiyaki?) is a type of Japanese pan-fried
batter cake with various ingredients.
Okonomi means "what you like" or "what
you want," and yaki means "grilled" or "cooked" (cf. yakitori and yakisoba);
thus, the name of this dish means "cook what you like, the way you like." The
batter is made up of flour, grated yam, water or dashi, eggs and
shredded cabbage, and usually contains other ingredients such as Welsh
onion, meat
(generally pork or bacon), octopus, squid, shrimp, vegetables, kimchi, mochi or cheese. Okonomiyaki is often
compared to an omelette, pizza, or pancake, and as such is
sometimes referred to as "Japanese pizza" or as "Japanese pancake." Many
okonomiyaki restaurants are set up as grill-it-yourself establishments, where
the server produces a bowl of raw ingredients that the customer mixes and grills
at tables fitted with special hot plates.
This is Tim's boring looking chicken okonomiyaki. :)

This was my nicely decorated beef okonomiyaki.

I was fascinated by the katsuobushi. When I sprinkled it on my okonomiyaki, the katsuobushi began to move! I don't really understand why and I haven't had the time to look up why, but I will in the future.
Overall, it was very very filling. I found my beef very dry. Tim claims his chicken was good.
Okonomi House
23 Charles W.
Toronto, Ontario
416 925-6167
Labels: Eating Out, Japanese